|Senator Bernie Sanders (Vt.) Chairman of the Senate Veterans Affairs Committee (SVAC) is pushing for a Senate vote on the “Comprehensive Veterans Health and Benefits and Military Retirement Pay Restoration Act” (S. 1982). Included in this veterans omnibus bill are many important provisions that include:
- Requiring in-state tuition rates at public colleges for all student veterans using Post 9/11GI Bill and MGIB benefits;
- Extending VA caregiver program to all seriously injured veterans who were injured in the line of duty;
- Expanding VA health care to include alternative medicine and dental care;
- Extending from five years to 10 years access to VA health care for recently separated veterans;
- Repealing a scheduled one-percent COLA cut for future military retirees who joined the military after Jan. 1, 2014;
- Improving delivery of care for veterans who experience sexual trauma while in military service;
- Improving protections under the Servicemember Civil Relief Act (SCRA);
- Allowing two-year funding for the entire VA budget;
- Renewing veterans retraining assistance; and
- Allowing “Veterans Status” for reservists who served 20 years but were never mobilized.
Members are urged to use the Action Center to ask their Senators to support this important legislation.